Two-car collision claims life of pregnant woman

RESCUE EFFORTS’Brady Fire Department and EMS crews worked to extricate 23-year-old Misty Lashea Lawson of Menard from her vehicle following a near head-on collision on the Menard Highway Thursday evening. Ms. Lawson who was pregnant, died later Thursday night from severe head and internal injuries suffered in the accident. Her three-year-old son was also injured in the accident, survived with injuries to the head and arm. A two-vehicle head-on collision claimed the life of 23-year-old Misty Lashea Lawson of Menard last, Thursday night. The accident occurred at 4:50 p.m. 4.9 miles west of Brady on U.S. Hwy. 190. According to State Trooper Sam Gonzalez with the Texas Department of Public Safety, the accident was caused by a third, non-contact vehicle that was reportedly driving in the path of a 1994 Jeep Cherokee driven by 28-year-old Frances Martinez, also of Menard. Witness statements filed with DPS state that the non-contact vehicle was driving down the middle of the road. The vehicle in question was stopped by Menard Sheriff’s Deputies and the driver of the truck identified. His name and identity are being withheld. The accident occurred when the Jeep, heading east toward Brady, pulled to the shoulder of the road to avoid the oncoming vehicle. The Jeep began to skid and Ms. Martinez lost control of the vehicle. The Jeep skidded across both lanes of traffic and struck the vehicle driven by Ms. Lawson virtually head-on. Ms. Lawson, was reportedly seven months pregnant and was also accompanied in the vehicle by her three-year-old son who sustained injuries to the head and arm. Ms. Lawson was wearing her seatbelt at the time of the accident and her son was secured in a car seat. The condition of the boy was not known at presstime. McCulloch County emergency crews arrived at the scene to find Ms. Lawson trapped inside her 1982 Subaru station wagon. The child had been partially ejected from the child seat and was removed by bystanders. Ms. Martinez was able to remove herself from her vehicle and was later treated and released from the Heart of Texas Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. Brady Fire Department rescue crews worked for nearly 45 minutes utilizing two sets of hydraulic rescue tools to free Ms. Lawson from the wreckage. Requests by paramedics on the scene for helicopter service were denied due to poor weather conditions that had all surrounding helicopters grounded. Ms. Lawson was transported by to the Heart of Texas Memorial Hospital by ambulance with severe head and internal injuries. After being stabilized, she was then transferred to San Angelo’s Community Hospital where she was pronounced dead at 9:12 p.m. The accident is still under investigation by the Department of Public Safety.

Leave a Comment