Lady Dawgs try their hands at fund-raising

The Brady Lady Dawg basketball team will be participating in the fund-raiser, “Where Games Are Won’ And Lives Can Be Saved.” The fund-raiser benefits not only the girls program, but also The V Foundation for cancer research, named after the late Jim Valvano. Jim Valvano was a successful basketball coach winning the NCAA Championship in 1983 while coaching the N.C. State Wolfpack. He became an award winning television commentator prior to being diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1992. In January, 1993, ESPN offered their support in establishing a foundation that would fund cancer research. During the ESPN/ESPY Awards that year, Valvano delivered a most inspirational speech during which he announced the creation of “The V Foundation” to raise money for cancer research. His last dream was to find a cure for cancer. The V Foundation operates with his motto: “Don’t give up’Don’t ever give up!” The fund-raiser itself is a shoot-a-thon. It requires the Lady Dawgs to solicit pledge donations for the number of free throws made out of 100 shots taken. These shots will be taken on Thursday, Dec. 20. Sponsors can either make a straight pledge (ie: $15) or a pledge per foul shot made (ie: 10 cents per make). All contributions are tax deductible. Each pledge amount will be collected and the funds raised will be split between the girls basketball program (67 percent) while the remaining 33 percent will be contributed to The V Foundation. Donations for The V Foundation will also be collected at all home basketball games through Dec. 20. “I believe this fund-raiser is a wonderful thing for our ladies and our program,” said coach Ted Epley. “Not only do we benefit, but we also get to contribute to a very worthy cause’the fight against cancer. I hope that not only the people of Brady but also the businesses of Brady and the surrounding communities will get involved and help us in this worthy cause.” For more information on the fund-raiser, please call coach Epley at the school at 597-2491 or at home at 597-6088.

Leave a Comment