Awbrey (Bob) Avinger, 89

Funeral services for Awbrey Avinger, age 89 of Eugene, Ore. will be 2 p.m. Sunday in the Davis-Morris Funeral Home Chapel. Interment will follow in the Rocky Creek Cemetery in Brown County. Awbrey (Bob) Avinger was born in Coleman, Texas, to Rufus P. Avinger and Willie Royall Sullivan Avinger on the tenth (10th) day of August, nineteen hundred eleven (1911). He died the second day of August 2001 in Eugene, Oregon. Mr. Avinger lived 89 years, 11 months, twenty-three days. After one year of age, he spent his youth and early adult years in Brown County, Texas. He retired in Brady, Texas; and, in 1982, Mr. Avinger moved to Eugene, Oregon where he lived until his death. He is survived by one daughter and son-in-law, Amber and Fred Coburn, two grandchildren, Ernie Coburn and Karyn Pedersen, four great grandchildren, two sisters, Camile Lee of Ft. Worth, Texas, and Kay Marshall of Midlothian, Texas, two nieces, Mrs. Camile Hornbeck of Ft. Worth and Cassandra Smart of Midlothian, and two nephews, Charles Avinger of Midlothian and Dr. Bill Lee of Ennis, Texas. Two brothers and Mr. Avinger’s beloved wife, Leona Hartwig Avinger, preceded him in death. She is buried in Rocky Creek Cemetery. In his later years, he married the wonderful Peg Inman who also preceded him in death. Her family embraced him, and he was able to be the world-class Grandfather that he had not yet had the opportunity to be. His life with Peg and her family has made him extremely happy. His new family gave him a renewed purpose in his life. His family in Texas is most grateful to them for loving and caring for Mr. Avinger. Mr. Avinger’s latter years were very fulfilling for him. We are also very grateful for the excellent loving care given by Brenda and Mike Silvers for his final years. Many thanks to all of you. He attended school at Cedar Point, Dulin and Brookesmith. He graduated from Brookesmith High School as valedictorian of his class, completing his public school eduction in eight years and received a scholarship to Texas Tech. During World War II from 1941 to 1943, Mr. Avinger worked for California Ship Building Corporation building Liberty and Victory merchant ships on Terminal Island in California. In 1943, he enlisted in the Army Corps of Engineers and was stationed in Phoenix, Arizona; Pasadena, California; New Zealand; and the Philippine Islands. After the war, he was discharged from the Army. Mr. Avinger returned to May, Texas, to a life of stock farming raising sheep, goats and horses. He also graduated from auctioneers’ school. His love of goats and horses continued throughout his life. He was active in establishing the milk goat industry in Texas. Not only did he own a nice foundation stock Quarter horse mare, he also provided a home for more than one horse that just needed a kind person to take them in their retirement. Mr. Avinger was well known and had many friends. He was always ready to lend a helping hand to anyone in need. With all of God’s creatures, human and animal, he lived by the Golden Rule and followed Christ’s teaching that “what you do for the least of these, you do for me.” As his youngest sister, I can never remember him having an unkind word to say about or to anyone. Some of the fondest memories and happenings were in his early years. When he was only two, while in a church service, he looked at the preacher and said, “You are sadly mistaken.” About that same age, during an all day church gathering under a brush arbor, he was left in the fringe-topped surrey asleep under our Mother’s watchful eye. He awoke and took the reins and buggy whip and attempted to drive the horses up the tree to which they were tied. Mr. Avinger always put his family first. During the Depression he sent two days wages to his sisters so that they could see “Gone With the Wind” when it was first released. He put himself in the hands of God years ago. One example is when he and his wife were invited to spend the night in the home of a couple in Winters, Texas. Mr. Avinger was concerned about his problem with psoriasis offending the couple. He and his wife prayed over the situation and when the time came for them to go to the conference where they would be the guests of the couple, his symptoms had completely gone. His doctors were amazed, but Mr. Avinger knew that God is capable of any miracle. Mr. Avinger’s symptoms were never significant after that time. “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28. Mr. Avinger could sing as well as he could talk. His clear, beautiful voice had a wide range. When he was about 12 years old, he was riding his beloved paint horse by the Cedar Point School where a baby’s funeral was being held across from the cemetery. Two men came out and asked him if he was R.P. Avinger’s son. Mr. Avinger said that he was. The men then asked Mr. Avinger if he would lead the singing for the funeral. He dismounted, went into the funeral, and led the singing wearing his boots and riding clothes. Mr. Avinger has written numerous hymns. He donated the land for the building and helped to organize a church near Portales, New Mexico. He worked tirelessly with a street mission in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was licensed to preach in the Baptist Church and held song services and preaching services in the nursing homes of Brady, Texas. He was an active member of the Brownwood VFW. Mr. Avinger will be missed and fondly remembered by his loved ones, including Brenda and Mike Silvers, his loving caretakers during his last years.

Leave a Comment