Social Security

Summer brides already have a huge “to do” list. But may we add something to that list’ Contact Social Security to change your name. It can make a difference in your future financial security. It’s quick and free, so don’t pay someone else to get you a Social Security card with your new name. For a working woman, reporting a name change helps ensure that you will receive proper credit for your earnings and, one day, the Social Security benefits due to you. And, if Internal Revenue Service and Social Security records show the same name and Social Security number, your tax refund won’t be delayed. Even if you don’t work outside the home, you should still report your name change. When you report your new name, it means your Social Security record shows your married name if you apply for benefits on your husband’s earnings record. (You should also report any changes to the first or middle names you may use.) Today, many women continue to use their maiden name after marriage. If so, you don’t need to report a name change to Social Security if you continue to use your maiden name consistently throughout your working years. If you decide to change your name at a later time, contact us then to update your record. To change your name on your record, you’ll need to complete Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card.” You’ll need to show either your marriage certificate showing your old and new names or two documents’one with your former name and one with your married name. All documents must be originals or certified copies. The application form lists other documents Social Security accepts. To get a copy of an “Application for a Social Security Card,” visit, our Internet website or call 1-800-772-1213 (toll free).

Leave a Comment