Brady gets ready to welcome Jubilee crowds

June 28-July 1, 1960 Horses from the far corners of Texas will be racing this weekend in the July Jubilee’s 33rd annual meet. Every available stall had been reserved early last week, and Jubilee officials were reluctantly turning away the late entries. “By all indications, this should be one of the Jubilee’s biggest crowds in history,” said Jubilee Manager Korky Steffens. “I feel very good about it. The motels are all full, and every time somebody calls me I get more enthusiastic.” The Jubilee has events scheduled almost around the clock starting Friday night and continuing through Monday night. Out at the race track, the winners of the meet’s 10 featured races will receive blanket “coolers,” donated by City Drug, the Club Cafe, the Standard-Herald, the Brady Steak House, H&C Oil Company, the Commercial National Bank, Brady National Bank, Robert Strickland, Duncan Chevrolet Company and Central Drug. A Shetland pony will be given away each day at the races and one will be given at the stock show. Jack Reams and His Combo will keep the crowd entertained between races, and when he isn’t playing there will be sheep dog demonstrations in the infield and Shetland pony races. The thoroughbreds will be competing for more than $4,000 in prize money. The biggest purse ($300) will be offered in the Merchants Derby Sunday and the Brady Derby on Monday, the Fourth of July. Five other races have purses of $200 each. * * * Bill Hames dead, but show goes on W.H. (Bill) Hames, famed showman and a longtime friend of the July Jubilee, is dead’but his show will go on as scheduled here at Richards Park this weekend. Mr. Hames, 74, died last Thursday in Fort Worth hospital where he had been a patient only a week. He had been in failing health, however, since an illness about three years ago. Kids and adults alike adored him. His often-stated formula for getting along profitably in business was: “Make friends, especially kids.” And Mr. Hames had friends by the thousands, many of them in Brady. His shows and rides have been coming to the July Jubilee for countless years, and his relations with Jubilee officials always have been excellent. In Fort Worth Mr. Hames had operated rides in Forest Park since 1920, but his carnivals have toured Texas for almost half a century. A self-made man who coined several fortunes, Mr.. Hames said that he “just raised myself.” Born in South Carolina, he came to Texas with his parents when he was four years old. Just four years later, he lost his mother and father in the same week, victims of a typhoid fever epidemic in Collin County. He lived with his grandfather in Denton County until his grandfather died, and then he was on his own. Before going into show business he worked as a farm hand for $10 a month and later for the Katy Railroad as an engineer. He went broke twice in show business, but he died a wealthy man with large property holdings, including a ranch at Keller for which he turned down $1 million more than a year ago. Mr. Hames got his start after he had been given half interest in a steam merry-go-round in return for maintaining the engine. A short time later he heard of a carousel at Sherman, spent $5 trying it out, and fell in love with it. “I got to have one of them,” he said, and a short time later he went to Kansas and bought a carousel with a $500 down payment. He set it up first in Wolfe City and took in $8 the first night’and spent $8 for the coal. He did better when he moved it to the square in Pilot Point. Sometimes he often recalled, he took in $200-$300 a night in dime rides. Mr. Hames is survived by three daughters, Mrs. T.G. Ledel, Mrs. Mary Helen Brown and Pamela Hames; and two sons, Frank and Gene Hames, all of Fort Worth. Funeral services were held Sunday in Fort Worth. * * * Irving man appointed sand plant manager T.T. Neal of Irving has been appointed manager for the Brady and Voca plants of the Heart of Texas Mining Corporation. His appointment was announced by Henry F. McCabe of Hurst, general manager of the company. Neal began his duties Monday and plans to move his family here within the next 30 days. McCabe, a visitor in Brady Tuesday, also announced the appointment of Jess Wade as superintendent of the “wet plant” at Voca. Mr. and Mrs. Wade moved to Voca from Dallas two weeks ago. Wade previously was superintendent for the John F. Buckner Company, a highway construction company of Cleburne. Neal, who will be in charge of both plants, worked nine years with Chance-Vaught Aircraft before accepting his present job with the mining corporation. McCabe said the company plans to expand its Brady plant with installation of an automatic bagging operation. The company mines “frac sand” at Voca for use by the oil industry, primarily in increasing production of oil wells. The sand is brought from Voca to the drying and sacking plant in Brady and prepared for shipment. McCabe said the bagging operation may mean an increase in labor demand also. The company now employs 15 workers at the two plants, not including Neal or Wade. “It looks encouraging,” he added. * * * PERSONAL MENTIONS Attending HPC Gaylord S. Hubbard of Brady, is one of 50 high school teachers attending the third annual summer institute for high school science and mathematics teachers at Howard Payne College. The session runs through July 8. * * * Returns home today Melvin Tittle, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Tittle, who has been a patient in Brady Hospital the past week following surgery last Tuesday, expects to be able to return home today. * * * Spend vacation here Mr. and Mrs. Leo O. Smith, Mary Lou and Joy Kay of Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. Martin Forehand, Mike and Pat of Fort Worth, spent their vacation visiting with Mr. and Mrs. Burrell Flanagin and Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Taylor and family. * * * Returns to Devine Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Ward and daughter, Betty, and son, John Wesley, have returned to their home in Devine after a weekend’s visit in the home of Mrs. Ward’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. H.L. Lackey.

Leave a Comment