Eden doctor joins downtown group

The Downtown Brady Doctors Group welcomed a new physician, Dr. Donald Klinger, to its facility last week. Effective Thursday, June 7, Dr. Klinger became a full-time member of the staff headed by Dr. Richard Morgan, D.O. The new Brady physician specializes in family practice and manipulative medicine and has a D.O. (doctor of osteopathic medicine) degree. “Osteopathic manipulation differs from chiropractic manipulation,” said Dr. Klinger. “It entails returning the body back to its normal function by externally manipulating the affected areas.” The difference between a D.O. and an M.D. is that the osteopathic physician receives additional training in what the osteopathic profession believes to be a most significant factor in comprehensive health care. Osteopathic medicine focuses special attention on the biological mechanisms by which the musculoskeletal system, through the nervous and circulatory systems, interacts with all body organs and systems in both health and disease. The emphasis is appropriate since osteopathic research and practice have demonstrated that disorders of the musculoskeletal system, in some degree, almost invariably are present when illness occurs. A D.O. is a fully trained physician who prescribes drugs, performs surgery and selectively utilizes all accepted scientific modalities to maintain and restore health. Only D.O.s and M.D.s are qualified to be licensed as physicians and to practice all branches of medicine and surgery. Some 55 percent of active D.O.s provide primary health care to individuals and families. The remaining 45 percent are specialists practicing in such fields as internal medicine, surgery, psychiatry and obstetrics. Two-thirds of all D.O.s are located in towns and cities having less than 50,000 people. In many communities, D.O.s are the principal providers of health care. Dr. Klinger completed his medical education at the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth, graduating in 1997. He later completed his residency at the University of North Texas Health Science Center and the Osteopathic Medical Center in June 2000. While completing his training, he resided in the Fort Worth area for seven years. In July 2000, he moved to Eden and began observing patients there. Still a resident of Eden, he periodically covers the emergency room when called upon. He is the acting emergency medical service director for the Eden EMS. Dr. Klinger and his wife, Linda, have a son, Jeremy, 16, and a daughter, Kayla, who will turn 13 next week. “I hope to bring care, compassion and time that most patients desire but present medical practices might not be able to afford to give,” he said. The Downtown Brady Doctors Group offers medical services for all types of ailments for patients of all ages. The group treats everyone from infants to senior citizens. Located just off the square on South Blackburn Street, the Downtown Brady Doctors Group offers citizens of McCulloch County a place where going to the doctor takes a long-since forgotten meaning of visiting the family doctor/friend. In addition to Dr. Klinger, the staff has also welcomed Fidencio Gonzales who is presently working as a student physician’s assistant to help with his medical training.

Leave a Comment