Lohn News

The Audy and Bernice Snodgrass family met Saturday, July 15, at the Lohn Tabernacle. The 50th wedding anniversary of cousins, Irland and Jueldeen McCormick was celebrated. There was lots of food; games were enjoyed by the 53 in attendance. From Austin, Brent and Becky Renfro, Bryce and Bethany; Stephanie Coffey; from Brady, Buddy and Imogene Snodgrass, Steve Snodgrass, Donnie and Christie Snodgrass, Danielle Snodgrass, Norman and Vesta Snodgrass West, Carol Anderson, Roy and Teresa Smith, A.C. Snodgrass, Jr., Joanne Turner, Don and Brenda Snodgrass Ziriax. Vera Nell Snodgrass Hall from Clifton; Bill and Doloras Watts from Coleman; Ronnie and Cari Tawney, Jacob and Jared from College Station; Dorothy Smith Cawthon from Dallas; Glyndol and Susan Snodgrass from Dublin; Tammie Lewellen, Rachel and Ruston from Grand Saline; Lynda Sue Bryant from Lancaster; Donna Ziriax from Lubbock; Irland and Jueldeen McCormick, David and Pam West , Shanda, Erik, Ethan and guest Nick Halfmann from San Angelo; Kenneth and Nelda Snodgrass, L.R. and Beth Shoemaker, Kevin Shoemaker from Stanton. Out of town family members were Sheri Buren, Jessica and Patrick from Hobbs, New Mexico; Homer and Jo Snodgrass from Las Crueces, New Mexico. The sophomores of 1999-2000 were very helpful at Homecoming and worked to make it a special time. One member of the class was chosen to attend the third annual John Ben Shepperd student leadership camp held recently in Odessa. Bobby Mendez was one of 10 students from this district. The camp is sponsored by the Lower Colorado River Authority. Twenty students from the state of Texas went to the camp. There were 500 entries, and students were chosen on the basis of an essay plus a recommendation from two people. There were various activities such as high ropes course, donating time at the local food banks and service centers. They attended several lectures given by professors from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin. They were housed in dorm rooms at the university. Bobby flew from Austin to Midland-Odessa, it was his first time to fly and enjoyed it very much. Bobby’s parents are Joe and Tina Mendez. We are still receiving letters concerning Homecoming. Rama Hemphill Huie wrote a lovely thank you note and also reminded me that a classmates name was omitted from the 1953 class roll (Jackie Faye Dunn). After all the family reunions are over this summer and people have had an opportunity to look at the rosters, we will correct our mistakes. Another 1953 graduate was heard from, Juanice Amarine Scott who lives in Greenville, North Carolina. Juanice said after reading all the names in the Brady paper, she failed to see many who were at the Homecoming. She wrote, “I probably passed by someone I might have known but did not recognize as it has been 40 years since I’ve been there when anything was going on. I have been back every year for family reunions and go to Lohn and Fife but seldom see anyone except my cousins. We will be in Brady again this year for our family reunion at the Baptist Camp on the weekend of July 28 and 29. Anyone who has a chance to stop by, we would love to see you and chat a spell. “My brother, Wayne (Class of ’51) and sister Oleta (Class of ’45) will be there as well as cousins, Nolan Underwood (Class of ’54) and his wife, Peggy. Again, I would like to thank everyone for the great day. We enjoyed our class reunion at Brad and Shirley Ellis’ place.” Loreta Moore Curry (Class of ’56) wrote that, although she was unable to be here she almost felt as if she had attended after reading the names of so many old friends. The Lohn Valley Improvement Association has received memorials and donations from the following: For Opal Browning from Wallace and Sally Williams, Victor and Peggy Schulze, R.C. Willey, Narvel and Nelda Rogers, and Juanice Scott; for Reba Reeves Bloomer Elliott from Brad and Shirley Ellis, Larry and Ann Walker; for P.D. Jordan from Golda Jordan; for Winnie Epps Moore from Rebecca Hester Girling, Narvell and Nelda Rogers; For Mary Moore from Rebecca Hester Gerling, Don and LaRue Carroll Green; for Andrew Cloud from David and Cheryl Hale, Mary Lou Byrd, Dannye Caylor Calley, Larry and Ann Walker, Jolyn Burkett, Don and LaRue Green, Brad and Shirley Ellis. Donations have come from The Browning reunion, Frost family reunion, Lohn High School classes of 1953 and 1954. Homecoming donations were made by Jane Underwood Green, Kenneth Hemp-hill, Kenoth Moore, Bill and Peggy Browning Stoker and Lucille Phillips. Carolyn Carroll Cloud, (class of 1950) lost her husband, James Anderson “Andy” Cloud on June 28. Andy was born July 25, 1930 in Ft. Worth, the son of Ira Clarence and Flora Bell Sutherland Cloud. He spent his childhood years in Bryan and Flat, Texas and his teenage years with his aunt and uncle, W.E. Whitten in Brady and was a graduate of Brady High. He lived in San Antonio for 37 years and then moved to California for seven years to study oriental medicine. He was a member of the First Assembly of God Church. Andy became part of the Lohn community when he married Carolyn on June 19, 1950. Surviving members of his family are Carolyn, and their son Wiley and wife Kathy Cloud of Boerne, daughter Cara (Connie) and husband Tony White of Tennessee; Grandchildren Wiley and wife Stephanie, and Wade Cloud. Step grandchildren, Blake Kallemyn and Josh White; great granddaughter, Bayley Cloud; step great grandchildren, Allison and Stephen Frantz; sister and brother-in-law Ann Cloud and Bill Johnson of Brady, sister-in-law LaRue Carroll Greer of Boerne and Rozella Carroll of Lohn and Brady. Andy was buried at Lohn on Friday June 30 with Dr. Billy Spencer officiating. Memorials may be made to the Lohn Valley Improvement Association. If you have made a memorial or donated to the Lohn Valley Improvement Association and do not see it in the Lohn News right away. There is an explanation, the board member who handles the memorial, Kathie Johnstone, (and let me add she does a fantastic job), gives them to me to publish after she has accumulated several, so they will be in the paper perhaps once a month. We appreciate all donations and memorials. Several people sent very generous Homecoming donations. Since I have been writing the Lohn News, I have written about many families and their history. It occurred to me that I have never written about my mother’s family. She, Lillie Day Gardner, moved to Lohn in 1905 when she and my father, Gideon Russell Browning married at San Saba in December of that year. Other members of the Gardner family lived here at various times. The earliest Gardner to arrive in America was James, five generations back, who came from Dublin, Ireland landing in South Carolina about the late 1760s. He purchased 2000 acres of land, had one son, named Marmaduke. The family eventually moved to Clarke County, Mississippi where they purchased large tracts of land, raised cattle and cotton. My mother’s grandfather, Dr. George Washington Gardner was born in South Carolina in 1820. About 1850, he and three of his brothers moved to Texas by ox-wagon settling in Houston County and Williamson County. George Washington Gardner and his wife, Mary Jane Ennis had 12 children, their fourth son, Matthew McCreary Gardner was my grandfather. Matthew married Naomi Susannah Digby (born in Mississippi) in 1871. My grandmother was always addressed as “Ma” Gardner outside the family and as “Ma” by family members. She was a feisty little lady, very small, never weighed more than 90 lbs., dipped snuff and wore long dresses up until her death in 1941. She always made coffee in a big old granite coffeepot by throwing a handful of coffee in the boiling water. When the grounds settled to the bottom of the pot, she would pour a cup of coffee strong enough to talk. She frowned on any one messing with her coffee pot. The Matthew Gardner family lived about 20 miles from Taylor. They had six children’two sons died at an early age. Life dealt the family a cruel blow in 1893 when Matthew died at 42 years of age. He had traveled from Williamson County to Mills County to visit his sister and brother who lived at Mullin. While there he came down with typhoid fever and died. He was buried there as it was August and they could not transport his body back to his home. My grandmother was 37 years old and had four children’a six year old son, Allie, my mother, Lillie who was nine, her sister, Bessie, who was 14 and a 17 year old son, Oscar, who had to assume the role of bread winner for the family. My mother and aunt were going to a small country school several miles away and their path took them through country where many wild Texas Longhorn roamed. They were afraid of the cattle and ran most of the way. After the death of their father they received very little formal education as they had to work to keep the family together. My uncle, Oscar married and his wife died in 1913 leaving four children ages 1,4,6, and 8 years of age. My grandmother now had another family to rear, which she did, gladly. How, I do not know. When my brother and I were growing up, we loved to have my uncle Oscar come for a visit. He usually arrived once a year for a long visit in the summer. He, like my mother, kept us entertained with stories of the olden days. We had no electricity in those days,our house would be very hot, so after supper when the dishes were washed, dried and put away, our mother would make us clean up, get ready for bed, then we would go out on the front porch which faced east, lie down on pallets, wait for the house to cool down and listen to her and her brother talk about their childhood days. My dad always went to bed “with the children,” meaning early. My uncle was a “colorful” character. He practiced “preventive” medicine. He brought his “valise” packed with all types of patent medicine sold over the counter, black drought, elixers, stomach bitters, headache powder, which he took several times a day. I doubt if he ever saw a doctor. Evidently they did him no harm as he lived to be 81. He had a low opinion of ladies who were bound by the latest fashions. He once remarked that if Miriam “Ma” Ferguson, then the governor of Texas, were to pin a cow’s tail on the back of her dress, that every woman in Texas would follow suit and every cow in Texas would be bobtailed within a week. My mother’s sister, Bessie, married Charlie Mason. They lived here years ago but spent most of their life in Oklahoma City. She lived to the age of 103 and was still keeping house when she died in 1982. My uncle who was six when his father died lived in Austin. He married Grandmother Browning’s niece, Bessie Pate. They had 12 children, twins in that bunch. He was 85 when he died. My mother lived here for almost her entire life. She had a wry sense of humor and everyone enjoyed visiting with her. The last few years of her life were spent in a nursing home in Lake Jackson where my brother, Gene lived. She died in 1983, two months shy of her 99th birthday. Back in grade school when returning in the fall our teacher would have us write a theme on “What I did this Summer.” Most of us who lived on the farm had to stretch our imaginations to great lengths to have anything interesting on which to base our themes. Maybe we chopped cotton, went swimming in the tank, made homemade ice cream or made an occasional trip to the river. If most of the farm work was done we might go to the jubilee. Some of the time our cousins visited and we played in the cottonseed bins or on the haystacks. Most of the time we just sat under a shade tree and watched a hawk circle around hoping to catch a chicken, or caught lightening bugs after dark and put them in fruit jars. A pretty hum drum life compared to today’s bids. We didn’t go shopping until time to buy school clothes. The Pete Lembke, George Reed and L.O. Marshall stores were our shopping centers. What changes have taken place over the years’from the ox-cart to the space ship. My 11 year old grandson, William, has already traveled more than I ever did when I was growing up. He flew alone from Austin to Phoenix, Arizona recently to visit his grandfather and other family members in Flagstaff, Arizona. He and his dad have just returned from a trip. They flew to Salt Lake City, Utah and from there drove to Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. He will have something to write about for “What I did this Summer!” Larry Lohn was here Tuesday. He, as usual, did some work on my house, then went to Abilene to be with Betty, his sister, while Bill Tedder was in the hospital. Bill had surgery Wednesday morning July 19 and was dismissed from the hospital on Saturday. Jack Bloomer stopped by for an overnight visit with his mother, Margaret, on Tuesday after attending a business meeting in San Angelo. Rob and Heather Moore and Margaret drove to Winters to attend a birthday party for Brooke Perkins, Angela Bryan’s fiance.

Leave a Comment